Some recent updates

How to Apply: Take care of your partner or child

Family Sponsor

How to apply for sponsorship 

To apply to sponsor your spouse, partner or child, there are 2 applications:
  1. You must apply to become a sponsor.
  2. Your spouse, partner or child must apply for permanent residence.
Send both the sponsorship and the permanent residence applications together at the same time.
If you want to sponsor your adopted child or an orphaned family member, follow the instructions to sponsor your adopted child instead.
If you live in Quebec, find out the steps to take to sponsor your spouse, partner or child in Quebec.

There are 4 steps to sponsor your spouse, partner or child:

1. Get the application package

The application package includes the:
  • document checklist for you and the persons you want to sponsor
  • forms you and the persons you want to sponsor need to fill out
  • instruction guide to help you and your family members fill out the forms correctly
Read the guide carefully before you complete the application form. The sponsorship application fee for processing your application can’t be refunded.
Make sure:

Helping your spouse, partner or child with their application?

There are certain steps you need to complete if you want to:
  • prepare your family members’ application for them (this would mean that you’d be acting as their representative)
  • check on their application status
You have to request permission and provide the right forms with your application.
Find out how to act as a representative or access your family members’ information.

2. Pay your application fees

Our fees changed
The fees for most of our economic immigration programs and the right of permanent residence increased as of April 30, 2020. Find out more.
In most cases, your fees will include:
You have to pay your fees online (opens in a new tab).

Biometrics fee

In most cases, you must pay a biometrics (fingerprints and photo) fee when you submit your application. Otherwise you may experience delays. The biometrics fee covers the cost of collecting fingerprints and a digital photo.

Third-party fees

Depending on your situation, you may need to pay third parties for:
The instruction guide can help you understand which fees apply to you.

3. Submit your application

The mailing instructions are in the application guide.
You may use a courier service to submit your application, if you want to. Courier services will help you track your application. You can also use regular mail.
Find out how long it will take to process your application.
We’ll return your application to you if:
  • it’s incomplete
  • fees are missing

4. Send us additional information during processing

During processing, we’ll ask the person you’re sponsoring to submit their:
  • biometrics
  • When the biometrics fee is paid, we’ll send your family members a letter asking them to give their biometrics.
  • Your family members must show this letter when they give their biometrics.
  • They have 30 days to give their biometrics in person at their closest collection point.
COVID-19: Biometrics deadline
Some biometrics collection sites are closed. If the site closest to you is closed, we’ll extend your deadline to give your biometrics. Find out how COVID-19 is affecting biometrics.
  • medical exams
  • police certificates
  • You need to include police certificates when you apply.
  • You need them for the person being sponsored and each family member 18 or older (who isn’t already a Canadian citizen or permanent resident).
  • Police certificates are generally valid for 1 year from the date they’re issued.
  • Depending on processing times, we may ask you for new certificates.
We’ll send instructions and let your family members how much time they have to send us this information.
You must tell us of any change in circumstances, such as:
  • birth or adoption of children
  • marriage or divorce or separation
  • death of an applicant or a dependant